Sons of Valour - www.sonsofvalour.net

Sons of Valour has moved to a new forum located @ http://www.sonsofvalour.net

Please register on this new forum and notify an admin of your registration upon joining our teamspeak server so you can be assigned your appropriate forum permissions.

Regards,
[SoV] Management

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sons of Valour has moved to a new forum located @ http://www.sonsofvalour.net

Please register on this new forum and notify an admin of your registration upon joining our teamspeak server so you can be assigned your appropriate forum permissions.

Regards,
[SoV] Management

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have changed forums: http://www.sonsofvalour.net

BF3 #1

BF3 #2

BF3 Server #3

Teamspeak

+2
SoV Admin
Hyrodsan
6 posters

Helicopter Help

Hyrodsan
    Hyrodsan
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Helicopter Help Empty Helicopter Help

Post  Hyrodsan Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:44 am

I'm trying to learn how to use a heli, but the problem is, I seem to get shot down pretty fast by jets and other helis. Any tips on how to avoid getting gunned down?
    SoV Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Helicopter Help Empty Re: Helicopter Help

Post  SoV Admin Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 am

flares
    Hyrodsan
    Hyrodsan
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Hyrodsan Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 am

Crusader-NZ wrote:flares

Well duh, but I'm talking about getting gunned down by the jet/heli's machine gunner
    XiSTNZ
    XiSTNZ
    Admin
    Admin

Game Server Administrator Citation
    Donator Citation
    Scrim Victory Medal
    Scrim Participation Medal

Post  XiSTNZ Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:56 am

Got to a flight training server, there some of them you arnt allowed to shoot, only fly around.

other than that learn on softcore, if you are new to choppers because hc the jets nonconsensually ravage you and you dont have regen.
    Hyrodsan
    Hyrodsan
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Hyrodsan Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:01 am

XiSTNZ wrote:Got to a flight training server, there some of them you arnt allowed to shoot, only fly around.

other than that learn on softcore, if you are new to choppers because hc the jets nonconsensually ravage you and you dont have regen.

Oh I know how to fly around. I'm just wondering stuff like e.g. when should I fly high and when should I fly low? etc
    ntfactor
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Post  ntfactor Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 am

I will offer my opinions, just based on what i have been doing - it's by no means a flying guide! I hope that other people's suggestions can help me to improve my piloting skills as well...

When opposing other helis it helps to be higher than them. Keep your gunner pointed at them at all times, with your nose pointed slightly above to give your gunner a good angle while still making your own missile locks acquire. Moving around (side-side and up-down) can help make you a more difficult target, but try to do it in a way that doesn't inconvenience your gunner. It may be a no brainer but use your flares !after! the opponent fires their missiles. When targeting them with your air-air missiles, fire one missile to induce their flare launch, regain your lock and fire the second before they reload the flares.

Opposing jets I have less suggestions... It is better to be at a lower altitude IMO, it is easier to hide from a jet amongst terrain than it is to hide from another chopper.
    In order to machine gun you a jet will normally fly at you in a straight line, so try launching your unguided missiles at them to make them break off, or at least obscure their vision. If they come in close to strafe, they will likely break off to fly above you - so gain altitude at the last minute, attempting to drive them down instead and into the ground. I dont know the best time to use air-to-air missiles against the jets. As usual, keep your gunner pointed at the opponent always.

Use terrain to break locks from ground based missiles and soflams. If you are high in the air, turn on your side to rapidly lose altitude, then level out and you will be moving fast, then duck into the terrain. That can help evade a threat, too.

Does anyone have other advice, improvements or contradictions to what I've been saying?
    NZ_Vixon9
    NZ_Vixon9
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Donator Citation

Post  NZ_Vixon9 Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:55 am

Mate get it done on Softcore if you are new to them you will need to get the unlocks first, you will be at a disadvantage as other helli dudes like myself have Laser painters and guided Rockets and there is almost no way out.

All I can say is "Use that friggin Machine Gun" till the bullets run out...

Good news is the unlocks come fast.

Happy Flying I'll see you up there. Very Happy
    steamboatwilly
    steamboatwilly
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  steamboatwilly Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:52 am

I'm a jet pilot, but a few tips from choppers who seem to always get me.

- If you're trying to get somewhere that's over water (e.g. from the carrier on Wake or Oman), fly high. When you fly low the rotor downwash pushes around the water so it sort of froths up, which is dead easy to spot from quite a distance away. It's not so obvious over land though, depending on the terrain.
    - If you're getting owned by a jet, just fly really high and try nail him with heatseekers. They have quite a long range, and the flare reload time in a jet is quite long so it's hard for the jet to get close to you. You also have the advantage that the jet may not be able to get above you if the flight ceiling is quite low.
    - Keep an eye on where jets are attacking you/lining up the attack from, and try to turn into them (their direction that is, not ramming the plane Razz). If you turn so that you're travelling in the same direction as them, they have longer to shoot at you.
    - Use terrain/buildings to hide behind if they're available, although watch out I don't come in from above Very Happy
    XiSTNZ
    XiSTNZ
    Admin
    Admin

Game Server Administrator Citation
    Donator Citation
    Scrim Victory Medal
    Scrim Participation Medal

Post  XiSTNZ Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:25 am

agree with both steamboat and ntfactor, once your skills increase you can start expanding on what they have said.

For me depending on the map i have different flight styles, caspian (my fav) i fly the chopper very low and fast, and i dont take the obvious paths, ie i fly right down the road where tanks are dodging the trees and poles. when a chopper bursts out of some trees infront of a tank/chopper they are very shocked and you have a few seconds head start on them. other maps i try and stay close to the ceiling as this makes it harder for jets to get to me and i have more time to see them coming, the biggest advantage is that you have a gunner who is a second pair of eyes.

whilst chasing jets isnt the most preductive, if you have an anoying jet pilot then it is recommended to try and get rid of him. I start my lock on when he is flying at me, then i dodge to let him over shoot and spin around trying to keep the lock the whole time. then shoot missiles as they are flying away, the advantage you can turn on the spot they cant.

What you said ntfactor about gaining altitude at the last moment when engaging a jet, and forcing them into the ground, i dont recommend this, as i will happily suicide to get a double kill + vehicle dissable and destroy any day. If u gain altitude i am either going to ram you or just circle around and come at you again.

vsing other helis, try and get the lock on first. firing missiles breaks the enemy lock so use this wisely. taking out tanks, 2 passes with the main rockets for the pilot should kill the tank unless a few repair men.

Basically the more you fly the better you will be at judging a situation and knowing what you need to do.

anywho, there is my $5 worth.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am