Sons of Valour - www.sonsofvalour.net

Sons of Valour has moved to a new forum located @ http://www.sonsofvalour.net

Please register on this new forum and notify an admin of your registration upon joining our teamspeak server so you can be assigned your appropriate forum permissions.

Regards,
[SoV] Management

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Sons of Valour has moved to a new forum located @ http://www.sonsofvalour.net

Please register on this new forum and notify an admin of your registration upon joining our teamspeak server so you can be assigned your appropriate forum permissions.

Regards,
[SoV] Management

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have changed forums: http://www.sonsofvalour.net

Similar topics

BF3 #1

BF3 #2

BF3 Server #3

Teamspeak

3 posters

Question about macs

Voltstriker
      Voltstriker
      Admin
      Admin

Game Server Administrator Citation
      Scrim Training Medal

Question about macs Empty Question about macs

Post  Voltstriker Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Hey all quick question, also probabaly a silly question. Im pretty sure im getting a new computer soon but dad doesnt want to get me anything other than a mac. if i run a virtual computer on the mac with Windows as the OS will i still be able to run the games and stuff that i run on my other Windows PC? Please get back to me soon Smile

Voltstriker9
      SoV Admin
      Admin
      Admin

Question about macs Empty Re: Question about macs

Post  SoV Admin Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Well I hope hes going to fork out the extra cash.

1: Macs are more expensive than PCs.

2: Macs have less apps & games for them.

3: You can install windows on a mac. So no need for VMs which will eat your memory. ( Stupid idea in the first place tbh )

4: Macs dont have as good specs in them in comparison to PCs. ( in equal cost comparisons )

5: When macs break. They are costly to fix. They dont just bung in any brand of hardware.

Your dad just sounds like one of those mac fanboys tbh.

Theres a reason why Macs have a small percentage of the market. Why there is only ONE mac server at the datacentre I work at, amongst a horde of linux & windows servers.
      -CPIT uses windows pcs everywhere except in a small room used by international students.
      -Canterbury uni uses windows & linux pcs everywhere except in 2 rooms where they run macs with windows 7 on them insted of OSX lol..

The macs & iphone, ipod, ipad etc.. are designed to be simple stylish things to lure customers who dont know much about tech.

My recommendation: ( Best bang for your buck with the current market )

Graphics: Nvidia 570 GTX or ATI HD 6870 ( depending on your budget, Nvidia preferred )
      CPU: i7 2600 or i5 2500 ( depending on budget, i7 preferred )
      RAM: 8gb DDR3 1333 or 1600mhz. ( or higher depending on budget )
      Motherboard: Consult your local PC shops of what they have avaliable that is compatible with the CPU , ram & gfx.
      HDDs: 1x 1tb for OS , programs & games. ( partition this HDD when you install windows)****
      Keyboard: Logitech G510
      Mouse: Logitech or Razer brand.

**** Alternatively.. For storage configurations:

Best is if you can have:
      -A seperate hard drive for OS, programs & games. ( better throughput. )
      -A raid 0 array of HDDs for OS & games.
      -A raid or single HDD for either games or OS & programs & have an SSD for either games or OS.

( Depends on what you want more. SSD for games = faster map load times , SSD for OS = faster OS operation, no defragging & fast boot time )

You can tell your dad to read this post.
      My recommendation, a network & comp tech & I work in a data centre.
      I guarantee these parts currently give the best value for money, for the price they cost.

Overall: DX11 compatible, quad core with plenty of speed & the i7 has extra threads to handle more stuff. 8 gb ram will ensure it is future proof too. We havent yet hit 4gb in games.

-Also, while I am an anti mac guy. My reasoning behind it is that they sell an overpriced product, that lacks the support, the performance & the features that linux , android & windows already offer.

A good example is the windows phone vs iphone. Windows 7 phone has faster hardware & the OS is faster with more features + another 500 to come with the mango update in last quarter of this year. iphone costs an extra $200 more & has less features, slower hardware & OS.

I think ive justified myself.

But im getting off topic.
      Its in your hands now. Your money, so just think about what you are doing with it.
      Chewie
      Chewie
      Sergeant
      Sergeant

High Council Citation

Post  Chewie Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Now I own 3 MACS and about 8 PCs and I can tell you know that they both have their advantages and disadvantages. MACS are less susceptible to viruses and other intrusive software, simply because hackers couldn't be bothered with them. In my experience, I have found that Windows as in the OS runs better on a MAC but the games tend to have trouble, even if the computer meets and even exceeds their recommended specifications. Most MACS also have inbuilt graphics cards which aren't too hot and are not easily changeable. The type of MAC you get will have a big impact on the Computers performance. If you do get a MAC, I recommend not even bothering with the Macbooks as they do not perform as well as the iMACs. I have a 21" iMAC and it's performance when running any game is almost unbelievabe. But as Cru said, its your money and MACS are a lot more expensive than PCs. Your dad does sound like a MAC junkie but so is My dad so yeah. Neutral
      Voltstriker
      Voltstriker
      Admin
      Admin

Game Server Administrator Citation
      Scrim Training Medal

Post  Voltstriker Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:08 pm

My dad is a Mac fanboy sadly. He knows what he's talking about cru when it comes to computers coz he's some computer hotshot at the government. However he said he would get ms a new comp only if it's a Mac. I would prefer a pc but he refuses. I think getting a mac may be my only option, however I'll either put in a windows hard drive in the comp or run a VM. Other than that I could upgrade my old one, which only needs new ram and CPU and possibly bigger HD. my GFX card is pretty good. I might actually do that. Thanks anyway guys.

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 am

Computers!??!!? the come it types!?!!?!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content